Sunday, March 18, 2012

My first half marathon

It was only a training run, but it was still a half in distance. And I'm really glad I got that out of the way. Especially considering how the mileage has been lacking in March. We had two weekends away with RV Shows, so I didn't get any miles in there, and we had a couple of weeks of some bad weather that hampered runs too. But anyway, it's done, and out of the way and I can breathe a sigh of relief that I will be able to complete a half marathon race in May.

It was a beautiful day for a run. I started out with jacket and mittens. And my buff (YAY!, my first run wearing my buff. I bought a couple in Montreal when we were there) But it became clear very quickly that the mittens had to go. And depending on the sun and the wind, determined whether I wore my jacket or not.

I started out ok, but at the 10 minute mark I started getting some shin pain that I thought was going to derail the effort. But that went away. Then I was plagued with hamstring pain that stayed for the rest of the run. I did really well for the first 10k. The hill at the end of the 10k mark, I actually ran up half, when I usually walk it all. I still did pretty well for the first 17k. And then my legs were toast. So I walked the rest. It was actually about the 17k mark when I decided I'd go for 21.1 instead of the 20. And those last 4 were brutal. I watched every click of each km go by. And I had to adjust my route 3 or 4 times to get all the mileage in.

But in the end it was awesome. I'm pretty chuffed. But now I think I'll take the rest of the day off.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats to you!!!
    Also, I totally need a buff now. I need something for my hair. Ponytail falls out, whisps of hair get in my face, wind wrecks it all, a hat annoys me, a hood does too. This seems like a perfect solution!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...