Monday, February 23, 2015

Marathon Training - Week 6

Why did I think I was further along than I was? I thought I was finishing week 7, not 6. Oh well. Not a big deal, just a random thought. I will say that last week just flew by.

It was a short week. Monday was Nova Scotia's first ever Heritage Day. Each year we will celebrate a local hero. This year we celebrated Viola Desmond. Viola Desmond was a woman who challenged racial segregation in New Glasgow in 1946.

After week 5, I pretty much stayed off of the roads. Except for my long run on Saturday, all my runs were done on the treadmill. I don't have a problem running in the cold. I prefer it actually, but I'm done running on roads without traction. It's not worth it to hurt myself with a hip or ankle issue. And forget about trying to run at a tempo pace, you spend your whole run just trying to stay upright.

I'm not sure if this is a haha funny or eyeroll funny. I actually forget what day this happened. When I run on the treadmill, I have to turn the heat off in the house because there is a vent right above the 'mill. (I also have to open the window and turn the fan on me. Did I mention I prefer running in the cold?) Anyway, of course I forgot to turn the heat back on when I was done running. The house was a balmy 12.5 degrees when I got up in the morning. Brrr. I actually thought it would have gotten colder than that over night.

Anyway, without further ado, here are my runs and stats for the week.

Monday  We ran our long run on Saturday, so that sort of messed up the weekend running. I was supposed to do 6km on Saturday. 16km on Sunday and rest on Monday. But because we ran on Saturday, rest on Sunday, I had to do my 6km today. I'm not sure whether that was a good thing or not.

Tuesday Treadmill Tempo Tuesday. I was concerned that because I ran 6km yesterday, that I was going to have a hard time today. This was a great tempo run. It was a controlled, harder than it should have been run.

Wednesday  10km tempo. This was a little slower pace than yesterday, but I was still quite pleased with it. I would be thrilled if I could get a treadmill 10km in under an hour sometime this cycle. Today was 1:10. Looking back through my runs, I do see my fastest one was 1:06, so that is the time to beat for sure.

Thursday 8km I was actually planning on going to Bedford for this run because it is clinic night and they were discussing hill training which starts next week. But alas it wasn't meant to be. Another snow event in good ole Snowva Scotia. (TM Courtney) It was a pretty uneventful run. I was expecting it to be a little difficult because of the tempo runs from the two nights before.

Friday This was a mile rest day. I should have added some weights, but I didn't.

Saturday 19km Another weather event coming for Sunday, so the group decided to do their long run today instead. Rain this time. The first part of the run was a very soft snowy, powdery mess. We were supposed to run on this three times total. After the second time, I was dreading running on it again. It was giving me some pain that I thought would turn to injury if I ran it again. And really, it was just making me plain old cranky. LOL. So I deviated from the group (as did a couple of others), and just ran up and down Union on the pavement until the group got back to Union. It was a much more enjoyable run once I knew I wasn't going to run in the snow anymore. My pace was a little slow, by about 4 minutes. I stopped to talk to dogs. And I also had to make a pit stop. I'm very, very happy that Rona opened this week.

Sunday 6km Again. Because we ran our long run on Saturday, it sort of messed up the way the weekend was supposed to go. This time though, I wasn't AS TIRED as I was last week, so I thought I'd try to get the 6km in on Sunday instead of waiting until Monday. The last 7 or 8 minutes were pretty hard. The legs were pretty rubbery. I was actually considering calling it quits at 40 minutes, it really wouldn't have been that big a deal, 5.5 km vs 6km, but I held on, if for nothing else than the mental game.

Week 6 - 57 km run this week 
             - 319 km run in 2015
              - 0.6 lbs lost this week. 
              - 9.2 lbs lost since January 1. 
              - 20.9 lbs to lose to goal. 12 weeks to go.
              - Streaking 452 days and counting
              - Alcohol free for 44 days. 
              - 0 minutes strength training this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...