Monday, March 16, 2015

Marathon Training - Week 9

This was a really good training week. I feel like I'm progressing really well and I feel like my 4:30 goal may actually be within my reach with 9 weeks left to go. Switching to the treadmill for my tempo and hills runs was probably the best decision I have made.

Benefits of Treadmill Tempo runs

  • I'm able to push harder on the treadmill than on snow covered roads.
  • I'm able to maintain an even pace for longer duration which carries over into road running.
    • This is really interesting. I find that because of all the miles at the same pace that I've done, that when I zone out, I'm actually running that pace and breathing at that rhythm. That whole repetition thing. Very interesting.
  • It's not as easy to slow down on the treadmill as it is on the road.
  • I'm not a victim to the elements.

Monday - 1.8 km. This was my mile rest day. I did a bit of everything, run, foam rolling, yoga, weights. I'm trying to be a little more proactive with the post run recovery. 


Tuesday - 6 km. Treadmill Tempo Tuesday. I was really happy with this run. It was almost uncomfortably hard, and I had to slow down a couple of times to get my breathing back under control. 

Wednesday - 8.77 km. Wednesday night hills. I actually went to the clinic for this run. That was a pretty decent hill. 6 x 600m @ 5%. I'm a week ahead of most people, so it was a little awkward when I had to run an extra hill by myself while everyone patiently waited. The hills are definitely harder on the treadmill. So I won't be that upset if I miss a clinic run to run them at home. I will say that I was pleasantly runner's high from this run. Gotta love it.


Thursday - 8 km Steady. After two relatively hard workouts, I was surprised that my "easy" pace for this run was a 7:30 / km. It was probably a little harder than an easy, but when I think back (I actually looked back) to this time last year my tempo pace was 7:30 and my easy / long run paces were between 9:00 and 10:00 / km. 


Friday - 6 km There was a big storm brewing for Sunday, so we decided to run our long run on Saturday this week. I have found in the past that I prefer to run this 6km easy run on Friday instead of waiting until Sunday or Monday when we run long on Saturday. I could tell my legs were a little weak, but that was totally expected.


Saturday - 19 km. This was a cut back week. Other than being a little sick with a cold (I took some tylenol cold and sinus that worked really well), this was a great run. OK. I did have a little hip pain from running on sloped roads, but it's long forgotten now. The temperature was fantastic, if not a little cold. No wind. No tummy troubles. I didn't run out of water, but I am going to have to address that before next week. The only thing to complain about was the lack of patience of the drivers on the road. They were not happy at all. FYI, we really would prefer to run on the sidewalks. But the choice is ice or irate drivers. We'll take our chances with the drivers. Most of them have a conscience and morals. Ice would take us out and not give two shits about it.


Sunday - 2 km. Rest day. HA! I actually like doing my long run on Saturday and having Sunday and Mondays as "rest days" I feel like I can get a half decent strength workout in on Sunday without having to worry about compromising my running due to DOMS. I did two 15 minute HIIT strength circuits after my run. 



Week 9 - 52 km run this week 
             - 462 km run in 2015
              - 2 lbs lost this week. 
              - 14.5 lbs lost since January 1. 
              - 15.5 lbs to lose to goal. 9 weeks to go.
              - Streaking 473 days and counting
              - Alcohol free for 65 days. 
              - 60 minutes of weights  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...