Sunday, October 9, 2011

Valley Harvest 10K

Ran my first 10K race today at the Valley Harvest Marathon in Wolfville. It was a good run. I'm really glad I went and that I didn't back out because of my lack of training. Racing really is a lot of fun. Keeping track of times, keeping ahead of people you're racing against, passing people that you are racing against.

I left the campground at 6:30 am. It was quite cold. I had my long track pants on over my running shorts, my tshirt and a jacket. Arriving at 7:30 ish was a perfect time to arrive. Any later and I would have had a bugger of a time with parking and bathroom duties et al.

Picked up my kit walked around for a bit, went and watched the start of the full and half marathons and waited for the start of the 10k.

Boy was I warm. I didn't dress appropriately at all. It was still really cold before the start so I left my long pants on. And the race shirt was long sleeve, so I was warm. I spent at least 75% of the race thinking about whether to take my shirt off and run with just my running bra on, or take my long pants off 'cus I still had my running shorts on underneath. Oh the dialog. Where was I going to stash my clothes? Tie them around my waist? Should I just drop my drawers in the middle of the run, or find a porta potty? As it were, I left all my clothes on until after the race. But it was warm.

It was a really nice course, a couple of inclines, the largest of which was at the ramp to Port Williams, and really, compared to what I run on regularly, it wasn't that bad.

My legs finally gave out at the 8km mark. Exactly. Saw the sign and my legs said, that's it. I did manage to jog the last 300 metres around the track to the finish line. It was pretty painful. But I did it.

My goal was to complete the 10k in 1:30:00. I switched my garmin over km because it was easier to track an average pace of 9:00 minutes per km than try and figure out what that would be over 6.24 miles. I finished the first 5k in 40:26 a little over 8 minutes per km. I finished the whole 10k in 1:26:08 that's a little more than 8:36 per minute.

I'm running the 10k in Moncton in 2 weeks and I'm really looking forward to it. I'd like to finish it with a pace of 8:30.

Here are some pics from todays run.


This was during the drive.




Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...