Friday, October 28, 2011

100 Beginner Running Tips

I just saw this posted on facebook and had to share. 100 Beginner Running Tips.

Some of my favorites are:

2. Cotton socks will only lead to blisters; invest in socks designed for running. (I love, love, love my running socks. I actually prefer them over cotton now.)

8. Remember to say “Thank You!” to race volunteers (e.g. when you get that cup of water at the aid station) and family and friends who support you. ( I really wish they had garbage cans at the water stations. It goes against every fibre of my being to litter. )

These two go together. Where I've just started running, I think these are important for me to remember. I don't want a bad run to discourage me from running.

17. Accept and appreciate the fact that not every single run can be a good one.
22. Even a bad run is better then no run at all.

 32. During longer runs if you don’t like to carry water take some cash in your pocket pouch or a shoe wallet. Run a route where there’s a corner store that you can use as a pit stop to pick up your water and maybe use the bathroom. (I figured this one out on my own. By luck)

33. Avoid eating spicy foods before running and the night before your long runs. (For me, this is true about 99% of the time.)

37. Guys: Band-Aids before the long runs. Your nipples will thank you in the shower afterwards. (Ouch. I can't even imagine that. I'm so glad for bras.)

44. When trail running don’t forget the bug spray. (This one reminds me of the run my sister in law and I did, down at the campground. I thought those suckers were going to carry us away.)

62. Give horses wide berths on trails and walk as you pass them unless you enjoy a hoof to the melon. (This never would have crossed my mind. Duly noted. Not that I see a lot of horses during running. I can think of a few runs where I should have walked by dogs instead of running)

81. It’s okay to take walk breaks (run 1 minute walk 1 minute then progress to run 10 minutes walk 1 minute etc.). (Of course I would agree with this one.)

93. Dress as if it is 10 degrees warmer than the temperature on the thermometer. (This one is hard to learn)
94. Wear sunscreen and a hat when the sun is beating down—even in winter. (And sunglasses too. )

OK. Now I'm really done for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...