Thursday, January 5, 2012

I am officially a runner

I just had the best run that I've ever had. EVER. I think I can say that I'm officially a runner. Why, you ask?

I went out on icy sidewalks because we a dusting of snow today braving slipping and sliding. There's a structure fire in the area and the air is pretty stiff with smoke. (I hope it's not too bad ) I was almost hit by two cars. (I won't mention they were women drivers) Totally not my fault AT ALL. I was attacked by two dogs. OK, one was a collie and the other a golden retriever and just wanted to say hello, but they ran away from their owners and got in my way. I ran right through a puddle and instead of thinking "Oh CRAP" I thought. "Oh my gosh that feels good on my feet."

But most of all, except for stopping at lights, a dog, and an icy patch, I ran the entire 8 kilometres. HOLY CRAP!!! I didn't take one single walk break. Not one. I bet at some points I wasn't running much faster than a walk, but I still went through the motion. I ran up every hill. OK, they were slight inclines, but a month ago I would have walked them. I did walk them.

Don't get me wrong. There is absolutely nothing wrong with walk breaks. I plan on taking lots of them on future runs. But it's just such a fantastic feeling to know that you are taking walk breaks because you want to or they're part of your training, as opposed to needing to because you can't take another step without dropping dead of a heart attack. If you catch my drift.

It makes me feel great to know that I can run an entire 8k without stopping.

Half marathon here I come.

PS: I'm using the term officially facetiously. A runner is anyone that gets off the couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...