Monday, February 13, 2012

Now that I have that over with.

I ran the quarter marathon (10.55 km) yesterday in the Falmouth Freezer.

We had a rain / snow / ice storm on Saturday night, so the race was postponed until 1:00 pm. Courtney came with me and we picked up a new friend along the way and met some more new friends once we got there. The roads were so bad, that of the 75 people that had registered for the quarter, probably only 20 showed up. It looks like they are going to run it again on Friday night. (?)

The temperature wasn't so bad. -6C. And there was either not much wind or the wind was being blocked. There was an open 2km stretch that was a bit chilly. I did get an ice pick headache at one point, the wind was so cold. But it didn't last long.

The roads that we were running on were really bad. Snow covered. Ice. Slippery. There were a lot of cars on the roads. There were a couple of times where I was actually worried and had to stop and get off the road with cars coming. If they had slid, they'd plow right into me, and there wasn't going to be a damn thing I could do about it. And hilly. Whoa, It was hilly. Way hillier than you would hope a race would be. But I actually didn't mind it too much. Any route I ever run has hills on it. So, I'm used to it. The piece de resistance, my friends. I came in DEAD LAST. I did, however manage to finish probably ten seconds ahead of the winner of the half marathon.

As much as I've complained about it, it really wasn't a bad run, for a long run, for me. It was a really sun shiny day. I don't get to run too much in the sun these days. So, I really enjoyed that. I got to have some free soup. I won a gift certificate from www.roadid.com. I already put my order in for reflective wrist bands and a shoe pocket.  I met some great people and I'm really looking forward to running with them again. (OK, running way way way behind them. LOL. Great job on the times.) And I got to spend a few hours with Courtney, which doesn't happen very often these days. And even though I came in last, I still ran a PR time for anything over 10K. Which is pretty amazing because of the road conditions.


So, all in all, not a bad day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...