Tuesday, June 14, 2011

It's raining, it's pouring


It's days like this I'm glad I have a gym membership. 60mm of rain expected tonight and tomorrow.
My scheduled run was 2 miles at a pace of 15 something. Gym treadmill it was.



I bought a pair of these when I went to pick up our race kits for the bluenose 5k back in May.


I haven't been able to wear them much; walking around one day, and then a twenty minute treadmill run to try them out.

I've thrown them in my gym bag to use, and tonight I did.

You definitely have to build up endurance in them. You can't heal strike in them at all. It's just plain awkward. Even just walking on the treadmill was really odd feeling. It's almost like you have to walk on your tippy toes. If you heal strike it's just like hitting a brick wall. You feel it all the way up your spine. Running was interesting. You have to hit either forefoot or mid foot, and your stride shortens substantially. When I say "You have to" it's not like I'm saying that's the way you should, or are supposed to. No, you don't have a choice. The shoes force you to run like that.

I did 5k in them. And I have very sore calves and lots of blisters. Owey. I won't do any more than 5k in them until I build up. I also don't have another short run until next Tuesday, so my blisters will heal and toughen up by then.

Tonights run stats

Distance: 3.12 miles / 5k
Total Time: 48:40
Avg Pace: 15:36 min/ mile / 9.44 min/km
Avg Speed 3.8 mph / 6.08 kph

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...