Friday, June 24, 2011

Week 4 Day 1

Did my 5 mile run last night doing W4D1 of the C25K program. W4 is 3 minutes running, walk :90, 5 minutes running, walk 2:30.

You know, I'm not quite sure what happened between Tuesday night and Thursday night, but all I can say is wow.

For some reason I thought week 4 was two sets of 3 minutes running. I'm not sure why. When I found out that it was 3 and 5's I resigned myself to at least a couple weeks at this level. I headed out. 5 miles I could do. If worst came to worst, I'd just do 3 minutes of running and practice that, because Tuesday night I was just barely finishing the 3 minutes.

The first 3 minutes was fine. I mean, really fine. I mean, holy crap, that was almost easy fine. Then the 5. The first three minutes was fine and then I hit hill. I ventured to tackle it, and slowed down my pace. I'm finding a good running pace is about 11:30, so this hill I slowed down to about 13:00. About a minute into it, I stopped. My form was just NOT good. Not even a little bit. All doubled over, leaning forward.

The next 3 and 5 were actually pretty easy. There was another up hill, but I was able to finish my 3 minute run up it, and the :90 walk finished it, the 5 minute was all level and down hill. And I even ran a little of the 5 minute cool down to the bottom of the hill. I did my 2:30 walk while I reset the program and I was off again.

My legs were starting to get a little tired for the next 3 and 5. But I did it. I stopped about :20 short of the 5 minutes. Brake Hard hill. And I paused the program until I got to the top. And finished off the last 3 & 5. Walked 2 minutes. Ran 3 more and I was home.

I'm finding that breathing really is key. And that I was able to last through the five minutes by concentrating on my breathing. When I was starting I was taking one breath for three steps. Once I got going, I had to change to one breath for two steps.

Something else that I thought was pretty neat was my split times. They were all really consistent at about 13 minute miles except for the mile that includes Brake Hard hill. That was 14:55.

I'm really happy with last nights run, especially after the hard time I had with week 3.

Stats

Distance: 4.86 miles
Time: 1:05:24
Avg Pace: 13:28
Avg Speed: 4.46 mph

June Stats

This week: 18:45 miles
This month: 54.08 miles

2 comments:

  1. I am on the same week of C25K as you. So far, I've done one run on the treadmill and one outside. I struggled a bit during the last 5 min interval, it is so hilly where I live.

    But those 5 mins ones sure make the 3 mins seem like a breeze, don't they? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I hear ya. It's really hilly here too. And I know we complain about them. But hills are a good thing. Just think. Somepeople have to actually drive to do some hill work.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...